Can Cats Eat Lobster?

by Alex Kountry
Updated on

While we all love to give our cats the occasional treat, it’s important to know what’s safe and what isn’t. So can cats eat lobster?

Checkout this video:


Cats are known for being finicky eaters, but that doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy a wide variety of foods. If you’re wondering whether it’s safe to give your cat lobster, the answer is probably yes. Lobster is a type of seafood that is high in protein and low in fat, making it a healthy option for cats. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when feeding lobster to your cat.

First of all, it’s important to only give cooked lobster to your cat. Raw seafood can contain harmful bacteria that can make your cat sick. Cooked lobster is safe for cats to eat, but it should be given in moderation. Like all high-protein foods, too much lobster can cause gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Another thing to keep in mind is that lobster shells are not digestible and can cause blockages if eaten. For this reason, it’s important to remove the shells from the lobster before giving it to your cat. The flesh of the lobster is safe for cats to eat, but theshells should be thrown away.

If you’re looking for a healthy treat for your cat, cooked lobster is a good option. Just be sure to remove the shells and give it in moderation.

What is in Lobster That Could Be Harmful to Cats?

Lobster is a popular seafood dish that many people enjoy. But can cats eat lobster? Lobster is not a common food for cats, so you may be wondering if it is safe for them to eat. Lobster is high in protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for cats.


Mercury is a naturally occurring element that is found in air, water and soil. It is also released into the environment through industrial processes. Mercury exists in several different forms, including organic mercury (methylmercury) and inorganic mercury (metallic mercury).

While all forms of mercury are toxic, methylmercury is the most harmful to humans and animals. Methylmercury builds up in fish, shellfish and animals that eat fish. When people or animals eat these contaminated fish or shellfish, they can be exposed to methylmercury.

Cats are particularly susceptible to mercury poisoning because they frequently consume fish and shellfish as part of their diet. In addition, cats lack the enzyme needed to break down methylmercury, which means that it can quickly build up to toxic levels in their bodies.

Symptoms of mercury poisoning in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures and nerve damage. If your cat has been exposed to mercury, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately as treatment needs to be administered as quickly as possible.


While a small amount of sodium chloride (salt) is essential for cats, too much can lead to problems such as dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and high blood pressure. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, symptoms of sodium chloride toxicity in cats include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, incoordination, excessive thirst and urination, and seizures. If your cat has ingested any lobster (or any other food high in sodium chloride), call your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline immediately.

How Much Lobster Can a Cat Eat?

How much lobster a cat can eat depends on the cat’s weight. A 10-pound cat can eat about one ounce of lobster meat, while a 20-pound cat can eat two ounces. It’s best to start with a small amount and see how your cat tolerates it.

Signs That Your Cat Has Eaten Too Much Lobster

Lobster is not a food that is typically given to cats, so if your cat has eaten lobster, it is important to watch for any signs of adverse reactions. Cats can be allergic to lobster, and even a small amount can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If your cat eats a lot of lobster, it could suffer from an upset stomach or other digestive issues. If you think your cat has eaten too much lobster, contact your veterinarian immediately.

What to Do If Your Cat Eats Lobster

If your cat has eaten lobster, there are a few things you should do. First, consult your veterinarian. They will be able to tell you if your cat has had an allergic reaction and whether or not they need to be seen. Cats can have severe reactions to seafood, so it is always best to err on the side of caution.

Next, watch your cat closely for the next 24 hours. Signs of an allergic reaction include vomiting, diarrhea, trouble breathing, and swelling. If you see any of these signs, take your cat to the vet immediately.

Finally, avoid giving your cat any more seafood. Many cats are able to eat seafood without problems, but it is always best to err on the side of caution.

Photo of author

About the author

Alex Kountry

Alex Kountry is the founder of HayFarmGuy and has been a backyard farmer for over 10 years. Since then he has decided to write helpful articles that will help you become a better backyard farmer and know what to do. He also loves to play tennis and read books


HayFarmGuy - Get Info About Farm Animals in Your Inbox

Leave a Comment