Can Chickens Eat Poison Ivy?

by Farmer Jack
Updated on

If you have chickens, you probably already know that they will eat just about anything. But can they eat poison ivy?

Checkout this video:


Chickens are often praised for their helpfulness around the yard, but did you know that they can also eat poison ivy? That’s right – chickens are not only immune to poison ivy, but they can actually help get rid of it!

Poison ivy is a common problem in many yards and gardens, and it can be very difficult to get rid of. However, chickens can help solve this problem! Chickens love to eat poison ivy, and they will actually help clear it out of your yard.

Of course, you will need to take some precautions to make sure that your chickens are safe from the poison ivy. Be sure to keep them away from any areas that are heavily infested with poison ivy, and make sure that they have plenty of fresh water to drink. Also, it is a good idea to keep an eye on them for any signs of irritation or illness.

If you have a problem with poison ivy in your yard, give chickens a try! They just might be the solution you’ve been looking for.

What is Poison Ivy?

Poison ivy is a plant that contains an irritant oil called urushiol. This oil is found in the leaves, stems, and roots of poison ivy, poison oak, and Poison Sumac. It can also be found in the sap of these plants. When the sap or any part of the plant comes into contact with your skin, it can cause a rash.

What are the dangers of Poison Ivy to Chickens?

There are a few dangers of poison ivy to chickens. The first is that the plants can cause skin irritation and discomfort. Chickens are very sensitive to this and can experience a great deal of discomfort if they come into contact with poison ivy. The second danger is that if chickens eat poison ivy, they can experience vomiting and diarrhea. This can lead to dehydration and sickness. Finally, poison ivy can also cause respiratory problems in chickens if they inhale the pollen or smoke from burning plants.

How can Chickens eat Poison Ivy safely?

As it turns out, chickens can eat poison ivy safely, and there are even some benefits to doing so. Poison ivy contains a substance called urushiol, which is what causes the itchy reaction in humans. Chickens, however, are not affected by this substance. In fact, they actually help to spread the plant’s seeds and help new plants to grow. Additionally, eating poison ivy can help to keep a chicken’s plumage healthy and free of parasites.

How to get rid of Poison Ivy?

According to The National Audubon Society, chickens will eat poison ivy if it is offered to them. However, they do not seem to seek it out on their own. So, if you have poison ivy on your property and want to get rid of it, consider letting your chickens loose in the area. Just be sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t eat too much and get sick.

How to protect Chickens from Poison Ivy?

You might think that poison ivy would be the last thing you’d need to worry about when it comes to your chickens, but the truth is that this pesky plant can pose a serious threat to your feathered friends. Poison ivy, which is a member of the Toxicodendron genus, contains a chemical called urushiol that can cause severe inflammation and blistering when it comes into contact with skin. Chickens are not immune to this reaction, and it’s important to take steps to protect them from exposure to poison ivy.

The best way to protect your chickens from poison ivy is to keep them away from areas where the plant is present. If you have poison ivy on your property, make sure your chickens have access to a different part of the yard so they can avoid contact with the plant. If you take your chickens for walks in areas where poison ivy is common, consider keeping them on a leash so they don’t come into contact with the plant.

If you think your Chicken has come into contact with poison ivy, act quickly to remove the plant oil from their skin. Gently wash the affected area with soap and water and dry it thoroughly. You can also use a commercial saline solution or dilute vinegar solution to help remove the oil. If you see signs of severe reaction, such as difficulty breathing or swallowing, Contact your veterinarian immediately.


After doing some research, we have come to the conclusion that chickens can eat poison ivy. We found multiple sources that say that chickens will not only eat poison ivy, but they will also help to rid your yard of the plant. Chickens are known to eat a variety of different things, so it makes sense that they would be able to eat poison ivy without any problems.

Photo of author

About the author

Farmer Jack


HayFarmGuy - Get Info About Farm Animals in Your Inbox

Leave a Comment