Can Dogs Eat Gummy Worms?

by Farmer Jack
Updated on

We all know that dogs are pretty much up for anything when it comes to food. But can they handle gummy worms? Let’s find out!

Checkout this video:

Introduction

Many people are hesitant to feed their dogs candy, but the reality is that most candy is perfectly safe for dogs to consume. In fact, there are even some brands of candy that are specifically made for dogs. While gummy worms are not necessarily made for dogs, they are safe for them to eat in moderation.

Dogs can eat gummy worms, but there are a few things to keep in mind. First, gummy worms are high in sugar, so they should only be given as a treat and not as a meal replacement. Second, gummy worms can be a choking hazard, so be sure to supervise your dog while they are eating them. Third, some brands of gummy worms contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. If you are unsure whether or not your brand of gummy worm contains xylitol, it is best to err on the side of caution and not give them to your dog.

What are gummy worms?

Discovered in the late 1950s, gummy worms are a type of candy that is made from gelatin, sugar, and flavors. Gelatin is a protein that is derived from animals, typically pigs or cows. It is used to give gummy worms their chewy texture. Sugar and flavors are used to sweeten the candy.

What is xylitol?

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used as a sweetener in many products, including gummy worms. It is also found in small amounts in some fruits and vegetables. Although xylitol is safe for humans, it is toxic to dogs and can cause serious health problems.

The dangers of xylitol for dogs

You may have seen gummy worms or other gummy candies that contain xylitol listed as an ingredient and wondered if they’re safe for your dog to eat. The short answer is no—xylitol is toxic to dogs and can be dangerous, even in small amounts.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that’s commonly used as a sugar substitute in candy, gum, baked goods, and other products. It’s also found naturally in some fruits and vegetables. While xylitol is safe for humans to consume, it’s incredibly toxic to dogs.

When a dog eats something containing xylitol, their body starts to release insulin. This can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar levels (known as hypoglycemia), which can be dangerous—especially for small dogs. Low blood sugar levels can lead to weakness, loss of coordination, collapse, and even seizures.

Xylitol can also cause liver damage in dogs. In severe cases, it can be fatal. If you think your dog has eaten anything containing xylitol, it’s important to contact your veterinarian or local emergency animal hospital immediately.

Why are gummy worms dangerous for dogs?

Gummy worms are dangerous for dogs because they contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. Even a small amount of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in dogs, which can lead to seizures and even death. Xylitol is also known to cause liver damage in dogs. Gummy worms also contain large amounts of sugar, which can lead to obesity and other health problems in dogs.

What are the symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs?

If your dog ate gummy worms that contain xylitol, it is important to know the symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used as a sweetener in many products, including gummy worms. It is safe for humans, but it can be dangerous for dogs. When ingested by dogs, xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar levels, which can lead to weakness, loss of coordination, collapse, and seizures. It can also cause liver damage. If you think your dog has ingested xylitol, it is important to take them to the vet immediately. The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can start within 30 minutes of ingestion and can last for 12 hours or more.

How is xylitol poisoning treated in dogs?

If you think your dog has eaten anything containing xylitol, it’s important to seek professional veterinary advice immediately.

If your dog has only eaten a small amount of xylitol, they may only need supportive care, such as monitoring and symptomatic treatment.

If your dog has eaten a larger amount of xylitol, they may need more intensive treatment, such as:
-Intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration and maintain blood pressure
-Intravenous glucose to maintain blood sugar levels
-Blood transfusions if there is evidence of low blood clotting factors or red blood cell damage
-Activated charcoal to prevent further absorption of xylitol from the gastrointestinal tract
-Nasogastric tube or gastric lavage if xylitol was ingested within the last two hours
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of potential treatments and that each case will be different.

Prevention

The best way to prevent your dog from eating gummy worms is to keep them out of reach. Store them in a cupboard or drawer that your dog can’t access. If you’re using a gummi worm mold, make sure to wash it thoroughly after each use so that your dog can’t smell the residual candy on the utensil. You should also avoid giving your dog any table scraps that may contain gummi worms.

Conclusion

While most gummy worms are safe for dogs to eat, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Sugarless gummies and those made with xylitol can be toxic to dogs, so be sure to check the ingredient list before giving any to your pup. You should also avoid giving your dog too many gummies, as they can cause tummy trouble. If you’re looking for a safe and tasty treat for your four-legged friend, opt for dog-friendly gummy worms that are low in sugar and free of xylitol.

Resources

If you’re wondering if dogs can eat gummy worms, the answer is yes! However, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, gummy worms are a high-sugar treat, so they should be given in moderation. Second, make sure to check the ingredient list to ensure the worms don’t contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. Finally, keep an eye on your dog while they’re enjoying their treat to make sure they don’t choke on any of the pieces.

Photo of author

About the author

Farmer Jack