If you have been toying with the idea of keeping ducks as pets, (yes they make great pets) and you want to get some info on the type of food they eat then you should read this article to the end.
Can ducks eat bananas? Yes ducks can eat bananas. They are very nutritious and delicious and most ducks like them. They contain vitamins B6, C and A and also contain niacin, magnesium and potassium which are essential minerals and nutrients needed for the healthy growth of ducks. It is also a yummy snack that can be prepared all seasons and does not require any complicated effort to prepare.
Table of Contents
What are the health benefits of bananas for ducks?
Bananas are awesome and delicious fruits and here are some of the major health benefits that you can get from feeding them to your ducks
- Vitamin B6 – This is a necessary and important nutrient that helps the nervous system of your birds.
- Vitamin B12 – Bananas also contain vitamin B12 which is known to help boost your bird’s health in a number of ways. Some of the important ones include supporting nerve function, liver and skin health, metabolism, boost energy levels and also improve their eyesight.
- Potassium – If there is one nutrient that is in abundant supply in bananas, then it is potassium. Potassium helps reduces stress and laziness in ducks, improves their metabolism and also enhances the electrolytic function of ducks
- Magnesium – This is also an important and essential nutrient for ducks. Magnesium helps increase energy levels, promote a healthy heart and provides other benefits such as better sleep and calm presence among ducks
In addition, bananas also contain the required amount of calories, monounsaturated fats, saturated fat, omega-3 as well as omega 6 fatty acids.
These are all necessary and essential nutrients that ensure that your birds are healthy.
Are bananas safe for ducks?
As I mentioned above, bananas are very delicious and contain lots of important nutrients for the growth of ducks
But feeding them in large quantities or in excess can have adverse health effects on your birds.
What you should do is to give it to them in small quantities as treats.
This is because bananas have a high sugar content and ducks find it very hard to digest sugar which is generally not good for ducks.
Can Ducks Eat Banana Peels?
Yes they can and most times they enjoy it as much as the flesh.
But before you feed the peels to your ducks, you want to ensure that it is thoroughly washed.
This is because you do not want to expose your birds to dangerous elements such as chemicals like pesticides.
Most banana farmers use pesticides and other chemicals to deal with pests and other animals and these might remain on the banana peels after harvest.
Here are some of the ways I get rid of these chemicals before feeding them to my ducks
- By washing them. Before feeding banana skins to my ducks, I ensure I wash them thoroughly with warm salt water.
- By cooking them. Also I might boil the skins to make them softer and also get rid of all unwanted chemicals. So what you want to do is to boil the skins for about 10 minutes and then chop them up into smaller pieces.
Another thing to note is that banana peels are much stronger than the fleshy parts.
So your ducks may struggle a bit to chew them at first.
This is perfectly normal and after a few tries, the birds will get used to eating them.
Related: Looking for what else to feed your ducks? Here is an article I wrote on Can ducks eat pumpkin?
Can ducks eat banana tree leaves?
In my own farm and my experience, I have never fed banana leaves to my ducks.
This is because, to me, the leaves are not juicy or succulent enough to feed to ducks.
I think banana leaves are an excellent choice for animals like goats, cattle and the likes but for ducks I do not see them eating that.
I don’t know if they are safe or if it has any poisonous chemicals that will affect your birds, I can only speak from my own experience and what I have done
So if any of you have tried it out and your birds enjoyed it, please reach out to me in the comment box so i can update this article.
Check out this article I wrote on what to feed your ducks
Will baby ducks (ducklings) like bananas?
Yes your baby ducks will love bananas as a treat.
It will provide them the same nutrients and minerals mentioned above just like it will adult ducks.
There are some things that you should do first before serving it to them
- Make sure you cut them in small bite sizes so the do not choke
- Mash them up and make them mushy so it’s easier for the birds to eat and digest them
- Freeze them up. This is especially important in summer time as it helps to keep the birds cool and gives them a tasty treat to enjoy.
Also ducklings also enjoy grapes as treats which I wrote about here
Can ducks eat banana chips?
My ducks absolutely love eating banana chips
The other day I was eating banana chips around my ducks and I dropped a piece for them to see how they will respond.
They absolutely loved it.
So yes you can feed your ducks banana chips and they will love you for it
As usual, there are some things that you need to be aware of
First you want to ensure that the banana chips have no gluten or preservatives in it.
So the best choice is to make them yourself as most of the ones you get from the stores might have some chemicals or preservatives added to them.
How to feed bananas to ducks?
Before you start feeding your ducks bananas, here are some tips that you want to follow
- Feed them in small amounts and make sure it is not everyday. One medium sized banana is enough to feed 6 birds
- Feed them in chunks or small bits that have been cut into smaller digestible sizes.
- Make sure you slice and freeze it as a treat in summer
- You can hang it up from the ceiling so it gets to all the birds.
Bananas are very good for ducks as they are delicious and contain numerous nutrients that are essential for the growth of the birds.
If you are feeding them the peels, ensure that you properly wash them to get rid of pesticides and any other harmful chemicals.