There is a whole lot of confusion on which glove you should be using for gardening tasks between Nitrile and Latex glove.
Right now, you might be even pressurized and trying to make a random choice of gloves from these two types of gardening gloves.
Relax, we’ve got you covered.
We understand how you feel and that is why to set records straight, we have taken our time to examine both types of gloves for your own evaluation.
This article provides all you need and would clear your doubts on this pressing issue at hand.
What are Nitrile Gloves?
A Nitrile glove is made from a synthetic latex free rubber compound, and is often disposable.
It has some of the major characteristics of a latex glove including being flexible and stretchy but do not contain latex protein.
What are the uses of a Nitrile glove in the garden?
Nitrile gloves are used in the garden to protect the hands from dirts and contamination, and to prevent chemicals like insecticides, pesticides and herbicides from direct hand contact.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a Nitrile glove in the garden?
While Nitrile glove may seem the best choice in terms of handing chemicals in the garden, they work less in preventing the hands from thorns and other sharp things in the garden.
Here are some of the pros of using a Nitrile glove.
- Nitrile glove has an impermeable barrier which protects your hands from the different chemicals you use in the garden like insecticides, pesticides and herbicides.
- It has a higher puncture resistance than a latex glove. This denotes that they do not tear from minor scrapes.
- A well fitted Nitrile glove allows a firm grip that helps prevent accident, even when handling wet and slippery tools in the garden.
- It is breathable
Basically, a Nitrile glove is the best option for handling chemicals in the garden, coupled with its other functions.
- A Nitrile glove only works best when handling chemicals, but is a poor choice for protection from thorns and other sharp objects in the garden.
- They have less tactile sensitivity than latex gloves
- The synthetic rubber compound of a Nitrile gardening glove is not as cheap to produce like that of a latex glove.
- The breathable Nitrile coating can allow soil particles to seep through the surface.
Related: Here is an article I wrote on Nylon vs Polyester gardening gloves
What are latex gloves?
Also known as rubber gloves, latex gardening gloves are made from natural rubber material.
It is well known for its elasticity, resistance to water and protection from chemicals too.
What are the uses of a latex glove in the garden?
A latex glove in used for mild gardening tasks like handling of simple garden equipment and chemicals.
It also provides protection from dirt particles in the garden.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using latex gloves in the garden?
Just like the Nitrile gloves, the latex glove also has it pros and cons when you use it for gardening.
Below are the advantages and disadvantages of a latex glove in the garden:
- It fits the hand snugly. You do not have to worry about your glove slipping off your hand while working.
- Unlike the Nitrile glove, a latex glove has an impressive tactile sensitivity.
- It is elastic and comfortable to use
- A latex glove is biodegradable, being made from natural rubber.
- It can be quite sensitive for an allergic skin
Note: if you have a latex allergy, avoid latex gloves!
- It is not suitable for long time wear.
- It is more prone to chemical infiltration and punctures from sharp gardening tools and thorns
Having examined both types of gloves, we need to help you set your records straight for you to make a perfect choice.
Want to know how gardening gloves are made? Read this now
Nitrile or Latex?
Yes! That’s the ultimate question now.
In terms of higher quality, a Nitrile glove is strongly recommended. Aside that, it is a good choice for those with sensitive skin.
On the other hand, latex is a cheaper choice if you want to do some gardening tasks that requires less puncture and chemical resistance.
Therefore, we recommend a Nitrile glove for your gardening task.
Can You Use Nitrile Gloves for Gardening?
Apparently, this question popped up because Nitrile gloves are commonly used for food handling, and for medical and laboratory use.
So back to the question. Well, yes, you can use Nitrile gloves for gardening depending on what task you want to perform.
For working with chemicals like fertilizer and other plants which are poisonous to some extent, Nitrile gloves are the best option.
This is because they provide an impermeable barrier between your hands and the chemicals.
Why are Nitrile Gloves Blue?
Originally, Nitrile gloves come in blue color in order to differentiate them from latex gloves for the benefit of people with latex allergies.
Since both Nitrile and Latex are seemingly the same, safe for the natural rubber composition of the latter, there was a need for a distinct difference and that is the blue color of latex glove.
Now, Nitrile gloves come in different shades of colors.
General Consideration When Getting a Gardening Glove
When getting a gardening glove, we advise you to consider the fitness first, then the kind of task you are going to perform with the gloves on.
All things being equal, every other considerations follows.
So here’s the bottom line. Right now, your doubt on this conflicting issue is cleared right?
Good! Now, go to the gloves store, get a glove of your choice and continue your gardening task.
Sounds quite fun!
Do you enjoy this article? Which would you choose between Nitrile and latex gardening gloves? Let us know in the comment section and why.