Why Does My Leaf Blower Shock Me? (Answered)

With the introduction of electric blowers, getting shocked when using the machine has become a common occurrence.

Many users have complained about being shocked while blowing leaves.

You could get shocked when using a leaf blower for a number of reasons. The most common are faulty spark plugs, static shock, and or a damaged ignition coil.

You can either resolve these issues yourselves or call in a technician.

I will discuss these reasons further in the article as well as what to do to stop your leaf blower from shocking you amongst other things.

Why Does My Leaf Blower Shock Me?

Why Does My Leaf Blower Shock Me
  1. Ignition Coil

The purpose of the ignition coil is to generate electric jolts that kindle the gas used to power the leaf blower.

Regrettably, when the ignition is shorted, electric sparks can flow from the coil and work their way out.

You might be surprised at that point as you were not expecting it.

This is exacerbated if you use a leaf blower that is not double insulated or an extension cord that is not double insulated.

  1. Spark Plug

The spark plug on your leaf blower must be in good working order for it to operate at its best and without shocking you repeatedly.

It’s possible that the spark plug isn’t the only thing that’s shocking you; the spark plug cords could also be to blame.

If the spark plug wires or the spark plug itself are damaged electricity running through the spark plug wires or the plug can shock you.

  1. Static Shock

Another common reason that could cause your leaf blower to shock you from time to time is static shock.

Static electricity is a stationary electric charge caused by friction that causes sparks or crackling or attracts dust or hair.

Your leaf blower is set up to produce static electricity.

As dry dust accumulates and rubs against the inside of the leaf blower’s tube, static electricity is generated.  

This can cause a shock when you come into contact with the leaf blower.

Here is an article I wrote on the best leaf blowers for artificial grass

Can I Get Electrocuted Using A Leaf Blower?

A lot of leaf blowers have reported getting shocks from their leaf blowers from time to time.

Although these are regular occurrences, they are also minor problems that can be fixed by looking into the above stated reasons.

However, electrocution is a much more serious problem.

Most leaf blowers will not electrocute users however if you are using an electric corded leaf blower, then you should always take care.

For example, do not use your leaf blower in the rain even if it is a light shower.

There is a risk of electrocution if you use an electric leaf blower in the rain.

Also, you getting the blower wet could cause it to short circuit, effectively destroying your unit. A dry, mildly humid environment is ideal for running a leaf blower. 

If you use a leaf blower in low humidity, you risk receiving a static shock. These shocks aren’t usually dangerous, but they can be unpleasant.

What Causes Electric Static Shock?

The influence of a non-neutral electrical charge on an object is referred to as static electricity.

This charge can be positive, indicating that the object contains more protons than electrons, or negative, indicating that the object contains more electrons than protons. 

When two objects of different materials come into frictional contact, an exchange of electrons occurs, which is known as the triboelectric effect.

In lay terms, static electricity is caused when two objects rub against each other, with one supplying electrons to the other.

As a result, one item has more electrons than the other, and the other item has fewer electrons.

The electrical charge carried by wires or transmitted by electric companies is not the same as static electricity.

When an atom’s positive and negative charges are out of balance, static electricity is produced.

Wool, glass, human skin, and hair are more likely to accumulate electric charges and generate static electricity.

How Do You Ground A Static Charge?

Grounding is the safest and most effective way to discharge static electricity.

Grounding an object means connecting it to the earth with an earthing rod or electrode that is buried in the ground. 

Grounding effectively removes excess charge by electron transfer between the object and the earth as static charges are produced.

Wires, clips, cables, and clamps are used to connect conductive materials or objects to the earth in this case.

Good connections are critical in grounding. Any object that is grounded requires a conducting path for charged electrons to travel along.

Grounding eliminates the possibility of sparks between appropriately grounded items and conductive equipment.

Also check out this article I wrote on using a marine 2 cycle oil in a leaf blower

How Can I Stop My Leaf Blower From Shocking Me?

The major reasons for your leaf blower shocking you have been highlighted above and they include static shock, your spark plug or ignition coil.

Before you can stop the shocks you need to know where they are coming from and how to fix them.

To reduce getting static shock from your leaf blower, try out the following things:

  • Use your leaf blower during humid days
  • Spray the insides of your leaf blower tube with a static guard spray. You can get one at a hardware store or from online stores like Amazon.
  • Rub a dryer sheet on the insides and outside of the leaf blower tube.
  • Use a leaf blower with anti static wires or install one to your leaf blower. You will probably need the help of a technician to install the anti-static.

To reduce shocks from the spark plugs:

  • Detach your spark plug from the machine
  • Check the spark plug over for rust, corrosion or any other damage.
  • Reattach your spark plug if it is fine. Replace it if you see signs of damage
  • Repeat these steps every single week while your leaf blower is in use.

To reduce shocks from your ignition coil;

  • Test your ignition coil with an ohmmeter if it is properly working
  • Replace it if there are any issues

It is always best to have an expert technician check over your machine to determine the source of the shock. 

Can Static Electricity From My Leaf Blower Hurt Me?

Most often static electricity from any source merely gives you a zap and might cause your hair to stand on end.

Static electricity cannot seriously harm you.

Your body is mostly water, and water is a poor conductor of electricity, especially in such small amounts.

It is however best to ensure your machine is in the best condition. Use your machine during humid days and endeavor to get some anti static spray with you as you work. 

Conclusion

Getting your leaf blower to work and feeling that zap can be a really annoying occurrence.

It is a way of telling you there is something wrong with your tool.

In this article, we have highlighted the major causes of getting shocked by your leaf blower.

They include; ignition coil, static shock and the spark plug.

These causes are minor issues that can be fixed either by you or a technician.

Also, using your electric leaf blower in the rain can get you to have a nasty shock as bad as electrocution

Once those issues are fixed, you can continue to enjoy your leaf blower without any zaps. 

Written by Alex Kountry

Alex Kountry is the founder of HayFarmGuy and has been a backyard farmer for over 10 years. Since then he has decided to write helpful articles that will help you become a better backyard farmer and know what to do. He also loves to play tennis and read books

Can You Use Marine 2 Cycle Oil in a Leaf Blower? (Explained)

How Strong is a Leaf Blower? (Explained)